Science Gossip Talk

Examples of tables

• rainman73 by rainman73

And if yes, should all the species that are mentioned be tagged?

I have to admit that even after watching the tutorial several times, I'm not completely clear on textual tables like this one.

Posted

• trosesandler by trosesandler scientist

Hello!

yes that is a table. No you do not need to transcribe all the species names in a table but rather add words or phrases to the keywords that would indicate the overall theme. In this case it looks the table records when particular flowers begin blooming in springtime for an area in South East England. I would add something like Keywords: spring, flowering, Chiltern Hills, South East England

Posted

• michaelf500 by michaelf500

Can something like this be added to the pictoral examples? Everything else in the tutorial and examples is about 'illustrations' and to me, textual tables are not illustrations.

Posted

Good point. We have an example of a chart but not a table - I'll see if we can add that.

Posted

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

@trosesander thanks! We need more clear explanation about tables and lists and charts -- including lists of plates,index, table of contents. Together in one place please, not sprinkled throughout discussion boards, perhaps in FAQ? This session I've found only text illustrations, no pictures, not prose but charts & lists of various kinds, some clear but some questionable, and have found little guidance though i've looked.

Posted

Shiphrah we do mention the type of things we don't want classified in the tutorial (e.g. pages of text, blank pages, title pages, bookplates, book covers, indexes, tables of content, decorative letters or stamps and advertisements) but perhaps we need images of those in help to make that clearer. I'll see if we can add that.

Posted

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

@trosesandler thank you for your response. I studied the list you mention and most of them are clear but i see so many charts and lists of things that don't quite fit. I'm going to start a collection so I can show better the kind of things I mean. e.g. The only image of a chart I've seen in the tutorial is three dimensional, but what about all the two-dimensional, spreadsheet-like charts?

Posted

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

@trosesandler here's my little collection, 20+ images from the past couple days: Collection lists, tables, charts - Collection ID: CSCS00004p - by Shiphrah

Most of these I think I did correctly but some puzzled me. A few samples like this with suggestions for classification would be most helpful.

One other type of list I haven't yet come across is a bibliography. Would that be classified like an illustration or skipped like an index? Thanks again.

Posted

Shiprah -thanks for putting this collection together! The one image this is most clearly a table is ASC00001z3 - it is self-contained (i.e. boxed off)and has its own description. Those that are definitely not tables are: ASC000cbs (list of illustrations), ASC0012g2 (explanation of the plates), ASC0001fg6i and ASC00000t1 (notes and proceedings), and ASC0001gcp (bibliography). The others are somewhere between a table and list so its tougher to distinguish but generally if the data is in a table-like format, has column headers and is self-described I would mark it as a table ASC0000903 Yes), ASC00008w4 (no), ASC0009b2 (no), ASC0000bnf (not sure would have to see the previous page where it starts to see if it has headers).

I hope I have clarified the difference and not created more confusion 😃

Posted