Science Gossip Talk

Inscriptions

• Antihelios by Antihelios

It's unclear from the tutorial if we should type in just handwritten inscriptions or ALL inscriptions and captions. I assume that text recognition software can read the typed text?

Also, if the descriptions of parts of an illustration (for example additions after the scientific name of a specimen) are on another page, should/can we add this information as an inscription on the illustration itself?

Posted

• VVH by VVH scientist, admin

Hi Antihelios, sorry for the confusion and thanks for asking for clarification.

For the inscriptions task please just transcribe handwritten additions to the text. Then use the keywords task to add any relevant information about the image which you might find in the caption included with the image or in the page (or pages) nearby. The more information we have for each image the better researchers will be able to find images in the vast BHL online collection. The words don't have to appear on the page either--if you can interpret what you see in coming up with keywords, that's great! E.g., if there is a detailed description of flowers but that word doesn't actually appear, it would be helpful to add that and perhaps 'flora' as well.

Posted

• Antihelios by Antihelios

Thank you!

Posted

• SiobhanLeachman by SiobhanLeachman

Thanks for asking this question and the answer as I've been doing this incorrectly. Glad that I now know as I assumed you wanted the captions etc to be transcribed. Whoops. Sorry!

Posted

• annalu by annalu

Thanks also from me.
    Someone reads our work and can let us know if there are mistakes?
    Sometimes I'm not sure to do well, and I would be grateful if the team gives me some feedback, so I may do better.
    I beg your pardon for may very simplified english, my mother language is Italian.
    Annalu

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB

Hi annalu,

The best way to get feedback is to post your classifications/questions/remarks here on Talk.

Happy hunting ! 😄

Posted

• jaksen by jaksen

Had same question. Thank you.

Posted

• annalu by annalu in response to ElisabethB's comment.

Many thanks ElisabethB!

Posted

• MeganAJones by MeganAJones

Thanks for clarification. I was also doing this wrong.

Posted