Science Gossip Talk

A mysterious Marsupial illustrated on this page

• yshish by yshish moderator

I was curious about the current scientific/common name of the Marsupial illustrated on the top of this page. I couldn't find any helpful information leading to the ID so I asked @Birgus2 , a researcher from a friendly Zooniverse project Western Shield - Camera Watch, aimed on Australian fauna. I think you could find her reply interesting (and helpful for the annotation of this page). I got her agreement for sharing that:

"I've done a bit more research and found this book which indicates where this species has been recorded in Australia. I notice that I originally thought South Australia because in the preceding paragraph he speaks of a species common in south Australia. But in actual fact he does not mention where Hysiprymnus minor is actually found. In the below book it shows the species is recorded in NSW in the Sydney area and in Tasmania near Hobart. As far as I can tell it also is referred to by various taxonomists as Macropus minor (shaw) and Hypsiprymnus myosurus
    [Link to the book]
    Below shows a detailed illustration of the species referred to as H. myosurus

[Link to the illustration]

It has various common names including Bettong Kangaroo-rat. But having searched backwards from likely species I am reasonably convinced it is most likely this species. Potorous tridactylus tridactylus (Kerr, 1792) or something very similar. [Link to a checklist with names]."
    /By Michelle, aka Birgus2

So if you get this guy to annotate, feel free to use the names @Birgus2 found! 😃

Zuzi

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator

Look how cure these guys are! 😃

Posted

• jules by jules moderator

Excellent! I'll look out for them. 😃

Posted

• geoffrey.belknap by geoffrey.belknap scientist

Excellent work @yshish !!

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s