Science Gossip Talk

W. Wesche

• SiobhanLeachman by SiobhanLeachman

I have googled, searched wikipedia, VIAF, as well as the Stuttgart Database of Scientific illustrators for W. Wenche's full name. He was an entomologist who worked around the 1900's and collected around the world including New Zealand.

Posted

• jules by jules moderator

Good detective work @SiobhanLeachman! It looks like W Wesché FRMS
    appears to have been one of those authors who illustrated his/her own papers and not necessarily known for being an illustrator. S/he is the author of the chapter on the proboscis of blow fly (starting on page 283) and the key to the plate is on page 294. I found a few more papers on Google but I can't find a full name either.

Posted

• tfmorris by tfmorris

Walter Francis Frederick Wesché (1857-1910) listed in this List of World Dipterists as from the US, but given that he was a Fellow of the Royal Microscopical Society, that seems unlikely. He's got a number of species named after him and a few publications to his name - https://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&tbm=bks&q=inauthor:"Walter+Francis+Frederick+Wesché"

Posted

• tfmorris by tfmorris

p.s. Somewhat more speculatively, I suspect he's also the organist Walter Wesché b. 26 Aug 1857 in Colombo, Ceylon (modern Sri Lanka), perhaps the brother of Awdry Gordon Wesché (1865-1938) born on 7 July 1865 at Bombay, India, son of William Francis Wesché, stockbroker, and his wife Helen, née Venn.

Sounds like a rather interesting character (and family).

Posted