Science Gossip Talk

what to include

• mofole by mofole

Hello,
    I just started Science Gossip. Some figures contain numbers and/or characters that refer to an explanatory list.
    Without such explanations the illustration is not clear. Do I include these text in the illustration marker, do I explain the
    numbers and characters somewhere else (and where) or do I just leave them out?

Posted

• jules by jules moderator

Hi mofole and welcome to Science Gossip! Hope you are enjoying the wonderful world of Victorian citizen science!

I would place one box around all the illustrations and not include the key. Keywords might be "orbitolites" (though that is likely to be in the species box so would not need to be a keyword as well), " foraminifera" and "marine biology". The aim is to mark the position of an image on the page and to use enough keywords to allow people to search and find the image. This can often be tricky and might require a quick diversion into the original document to find some clues.

There's an icon top right of the classification page which takes you to the BHL site and the original journal so you can look at the pages around the one you are classifying.

Hope that helps!

Posted