Science Gossip Talk

List of known illustrators

• Whitby_Jet by Whitby_Jet

The same illustrator occurs on different drawings. Many of these people sign only with their initials, or in one case I saw a sort of logo apparently made up of initials.

Could the researchers provide a regularly updated reference list of illustrators? The full names of people matched to their initials (where known) would be very useful, along with an example of the signature so we can see the handwriting.

If the name is not known but the initials are, it would still be useful to see an example of a signature and be told what the initials are, because some of them are difficult to read due to artistic flourishes.

This could then be pointed to in the FAQs.

It would help everyone, and ensure a consistency of recording of the illustrators.

Posted

• jules by jules moderator

We have the Database of Scientific Illustrators - which is often (but not always) helpful. I have a list of contributors (just the ones I've come across) which I could post if anyone would find it useful.

Posted

Thanks for the reply jules.

I think the problem with the database, after a quick look, is it that seems to deal in full names. My point is that I don't know what the name is, I only have the initials. So I need a way to link one to the other, plus as I said, I can't always read the initials if they are in decorative handwriting, so I also need a link to the actual signature.

A list of the ones you know, along with an example of their signature (or a link to one) would be very useful indeed if you could do it - with a mention in the FAQs.

Posted

• jules by jules moderator

It's on the to-do list! 😉

Posted

I see you have been very busy compiling this. Thanks a lot, I'm sure everyone will find it extremely useful.

Posted

• jules by jules moderator in response to Whitby_Jet's comment.

Thanks, I hope so too. I started this when I came across some signatures and names that didn't copy well and were hard to read. And from then on the list just got longer!

Posted