Science Gossip Talk

repeating hashtags on the same object comments

• Geek2 by Geek2

Hello everyone!

My question is regarding adding a hashtag more than once to the same object. It happens quite frequently in tags like #oldweather or #blank, more than one person will add the tag on the comments of the image. When I open an image to comment and the tag I was going to add is already there I tend to not add a new comment with the same tag. So, my question is, should I repeat the tag? Does it make it "more noticeable"? Or does it not matter how many times an image is tagged as long as it is tagged?

Thanks in advance! 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Actually, yes, adding the tag multiple times does make it "more noticeable."

Hashtags work like classification votes... if something is hashtagged with the same hashtag multiple times, that tag will rise to the top of all the other tags that the object has.

So at least from my perspective, it does indeed have an effect on the data. 😃 Whether the science team wants it, is up to them!

Posted

• Geek2 by Geek2

Thanks!! I shall repeat tags until further notice!! 😃

Posted

• trosesandler by trosesandler scientist

From the science team perspective we would rather have a new tag added than tags repeated - a better use of volunteer time. Thanks!

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB in response to trosesandler's comment.

Not sure what you mean by this ! So should we tag this item again with the same tag or invent a new one ? [insert bewilderd emoji]

Posted

• trosesandler by trosesandler scientist

Sorry - to clarify - the research team is not so much interested in how many times a hashtag was used on an image so its not its not a good use of volunteer time to keep repeating the same tag. We recommend either not repeating the tag if its already there or adding a completing new hashtag that allows it to be found by other access points

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB

Okay, got it ! 😄

Posted