Science Gossip Talk

When is an illustration an illustration?

• Pitpatjan by Pitpatjan

On this page there is a rather nice geometric design header. Is this an illustration? I have decided not, but would like to know.
    The drawing is actually an "illuminated" capital T. It is beautiful but doesn;t actually depict a Sunflower which is the title of the piece. Is this an illustration? I have assumed Yes....but would like to know.

Posted

• jules by jules moderator

I've not been marking these as the instructions say not to mark illustrated letters - but they are rather nice! Hope someone clarifies for us. 😃

Posted

• geoffrey.belknap by geoffrey.belknap scientist

Thanks Pitpatjan and jules

We are not asking for these to be classified as illustrations, as they were purely decorative. Treat them the same way that you would classify a title page.

Science Gossip, after its first couple years, started to place these ornamental initials at the start of each new issue. The interesting part is that they made a number of different blocks (wood blocks that is) for each initial letter - and would reuse those blocks whenever a capital 'T' - for instance - was needed. From what I have seen, this was only a practice for Science Gossip, and not for the other journals.

Geoff

Posted