Science Gossip Talk

Given random pages when I don't want too

• Hanibal94 by Hanibal94

I am trying to focus on the "Gardener's chronicle and gardening illustrated" - but even though I specifically choose it from the Periodicals page, I am always given the pages from some other journal sooner or later. I can tell by looking at the title of the journal, and the contents of the page.

What is going on here?

EDIT: Not only that, but when I pick that periodical, I am given pages from other journals AT ONCE now!
    I can't get at the journal I want to help finish off!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to Hanibal94's comment.

Sorry to hear that. I've just asked what could be done about it.

Z.

Posted

• Hanibal94 by Hanibal94

It appears the Gardener's chronicle is the only one affected.
    I tried all the others, and got exactly what I asked for in each case.
    But now when I click the Gardener's chronicle, I just get random pages from other periodicals.

Maybe I've already done all the remaining pages from that journal, so it won't let me do anymore?

Posted

It seems to be working for me. The only idea I had is that you have classified most of them already. But I'm not sure whether it would behave this way if it was true. Did you classify some Gardener's pages before?

Posted

• Hanibal94 by Hanibal94

Yes, I classified quite a bunch. But then I noticed I was getting pages from other journals - and then I stopped getting Gardener's pages altogether.

Posted

Oh, to me it looks like you have probably run out of the Gardener's data! It's 94% complete!

Posted

• Hanibal94 by Hanibal94

OK, thanks for your help. I guess I'll have to go for other journals then.

Posted

Yep, I've just received the confirmation:

"Must have completed the Gardeners Chronicle. There aren't many active pages in that one. The site falls back to showing random pages if nothing comes back for a particular journal. Otherwise, you'd get a message saying the project is out of data"

Posted

• jules by jules moderator

No more Gardeners' Chronicle for me either at 98% complete. We've obviously done our bit! 😃

Posted

• Hanibal94 by Hanibal94

And now the journal's gone entirely! Woohoo!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

You guys rock! 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator

Btw, the The gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement doesn't appear among the periodicals in my Recents, moreover, the pages I classify are not counted in my stats. Is it just a temporary and will later they will appear there?

The other periodicals (not sure whether all of them) do get counted and do display there without any problems.

Can you test it yourself, please?

Posted

• jules by jules moderator

Same for me too. Odd why just that journal is affected.

Posted

Myabe it was uploaded later than the others? Shall I report it on the GitHub?

Hopefully the classifications are recorded when they aren't counted in personal stats..

Posted

Ah, the count of completed pages has just jumped from 609 to 610 for this periodical, which means the classifications probably do get recorded! 😃 http://www.sciencegossip.org/#/periodicals

Posted

Funny, a minute ago, it displayed that I did 2 pages of the Gardener's, although it was much more just for today...... and after reloading the page, it disappeared completely from the list again!

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens admin in response to yshish's comment.

Hi, the javascript for your profile loads the stats from our servers when you first load the page, but then just adds one to those numbers each time you finish a classification for a periodical. It saves on requests to the server, but would explain why the count went up until you refreshed the page. I'm not sure why the classifications aren't showing up in your recents. I've just tried a page from the gardener's magazine and it saved without any problems. Still there when I refreshed the page too.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to eatyourgreens's comment.

Thanks. I have posted a screenshot on the GitHub. Check it out..

Posted

Great news everyone, it's been fixed and should have been working properly again! 😃 Hurray!

Posted