Science Gossip Talk

How do you correct a page number - eg you are told that you are looking at page 197 but on looking at the original, it is actually page 198?

• richard_of_coulsdon by richard_of_coulsdon

as headline

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB

Hi Richard

You cannot correct it but posting it here on Talk will get it to the scientists attention.

Posted

• jules by jules moderator

That's interesting though - do you have a link to your example by any chance richard of coulsdon?

Posted

• VVH by VVH scientist, admin

Hi everyone, thanks for flagging this up. I think that this sometimes happens when periodicals number images and plates as well as 'front matter' pages numbered with roman numerals (i-ii-iv etc) instead of 1, 2, 3...this means the metadata for a page can be off in the catalogue. I think the best thing is to flag this up on Talk as ElisabethB says, and to hashtag the page with, for example, #correction. Just a thought!

Posted

• Ernay by Ernay

Hi all!

Jules I tagged one with correction in case you are still interested in an example (http://talk.sciencegossip.org/#/subjects/ASC0001dxy). However, now I started paying attention to it, and as VVH said, in most cases it is because an unnumbered title page or something similar and all the next ~300 pages are off by one. Could the scientists tells us whether they prefer all of those tagged? It's little effort, but I am guessing that it will be a bucketload of pages and just wondering whether it doesn't create unwanted clutter if we start tagging all of them.

Posted

• jules by jules moderator

Ah, thanks @Ernay, now I understand. Yes, the BHL link occasionally takes us to the wrong page and we have to navigate up or down a page or two to find the one we are classifying. I've noticed this particularly with whole page illustrations which have a blank (protective) page preceding them. This throws the BHL links out in the same way as the roman numeral examples VVH gave above. Once you find the right page though the page numbers do match.

As for the #correction tag - I'll leave that to the team to decide if it's useful to have every example tagged.

Posted