Science Gossip Talk

Suggestion

• wcstarks by wcstarks

When someone indicates there are no images/sketches, it would be nicer if you would not ask if we want to talk about the page. There is really nothing to talk about if the page is just text, given the parameters of the project.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to wcstarks's comment.

Sometimes people actually do want to talk about all-text pages! 😃

Posted

• jimprall by jimprall

My first day here; I felt the same as wcstarks, that on the frequent runs of text-only pages, it is tedious to require three clicks in different locations to go on to the next page. I'd love to see the main control panel updated to reduce the number of clicks for moving along to search for the next image.
    Granted you want to keep the option to comment on a text-only page, that should probably be, e.g., a checkbox rather than a separate "stop" step requiring another button click.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to jimprall's comment.

I actually do like such a stop with the 'classification has been loaded' inforamtion before loading a new page - if I decide to stop classifying it's more easy for me to have such a stop before the new page has loaded (moreover, it is important to let users know that it is the moment from they can't go back but can stop since it's been finally recorded.) When they put the stop away I wouldn't be able to stop! Like never ever!!! 😉

Posted

• wcstarks by wcstarks

I have mistakenly separated keywords with a comma instead of a semicolon on all my entries today. Can someone fix those, so they will work properly?

Posted

• garweyne by garweyne

Yes, it is very tedious to have to click three times with three move actions just to discard a page. Especially since my fingers ache, and I would prefer to minimize clicks.

Here there are substantially two working modes, a (fast) discard and and a (slow) inspect and mark. You need a different mindset for the two modes, and I might want to decide what to do.

So I would suggest to have a "sieve" mode and an "inspect and mark" mode. In the sieve mode, I would like to have a page full of thumbnails of pages, (I choose the dimension and I get as many as fit in the page); right-click pops up the page for full-size inspection, left-click selects those that have some feature to I&M; when I have completed my inspection and marked the thumbnails accordingly, I save: the unmarked ones are discarded, the marked ones are passed to I&M, either by myself or by anybody else. In I&M mode I get a page that has already been sieved, and I can either do it, do it in part (leaving to others to complete), or skip.

It is not strictly necessary to have two different modes, just a page of thumbnails, you can select one to closely inspect, mark and save (or skip) and remove from the thumbnails, and a button to mark all your thumbnails as empty (and either get another full page or quit). And of course a "just quit" button.

Posted

• SiobhanLeachman by SiobhanLeachman

I too started out thinking why talk about the text only pages BUT have since realised that some/a lot of these pages can be "talked" about for other science projects such as Oldweather etc. So am not so keen on reducing the clicks now. Although, I do empathise with those who get sore hands/fingers!

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens admin

The interface should support the standard operating system accessibility keyboard shortcuts, which might be quicker than using a mouse:

Tab/shift tab: move forwards/backwards between form controls

cursor keys: pick a value for the selected form control (eg. the yes/no choice on the first question or the choices for type of illustration.)

enter/space: activate a button (might vary between browsers)

These should be the same on Windows and Mac OSX. I'm not sure about Linux.

Also, the No button should be automatically focussed/selected for the Talk question, so you can quickly skip on by pressing space/enter if you wish.

Jim

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to eatyourgreens's comment.

All these keybord shortcuts work on Linux too.

Posted

• MCAS by MCAS

Hey, there should really be a way to rotate images (unless I'm missing something). Getting a crick in my neck from this map. http://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/43971786

Posted

• jules by jules moderator

Yep - agree with the rotation idea. Today has been sideways maps and charts day. 😉

Posted

• trosesandler by trosesandler scientist

apologies MCAS - neither Zooniverse nor BHL have rotate functionality at this time

Posted

• Kastrel by Kastrel

It would be nice to be able to see the Talk pages and still edit the classification - even if I open the Talk in a new tab, the classification has already been recorded and I can't edit it. Sometimes I want to see if other people have called something a chart or a list to decide if I want to include it, but I can't currently do that.

Also, is the magnifier ever enabled? Some of the pages are really big with lots of columns and I have to go to the BHL website and zoom that which seems unnecessary if I could zoom the image itself.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to Kastrel's comment.

Hi @Kastrel

In general, he classification in Zooniverse projects works the way, that each image (page in this case) is classified by multiple volunteers. The mistakes get sorted out itself. If five volunteers say there is a dead hedgehog in the picture, and one says there is a dead rat in the picture, then you can tell there is most probably a dead hedgehog in it, without seeing the picture. It is well described in this blog post from SS.

There are reasons we're not allowed to see comments before finishing the classification. The researchers want to see what we see there, not what we think we should see there. If you would be allowed to look at the comments before the classification, your opinion would be affected by that. Then all classifications could be done by the first comment and all could be the same. If that first comment was incorrect, then all the classifications would be incorrect, and no one would notice it from their comparison! So it would be useless for the science.

Anyway, you can see those comments after finishing the classification and inspire for classification of similar type of images.

Hope it is clearer to you.

As for the magnifier, it should be working - just click on the 3rd icon from the left, just next to the one for the BHL. It works when the text field is open = when you click into the picture to type the species/contributor/inscription or while typing the keywords. When you click on it in the step before (after drawing rectangles but before clicking in the image to open the text field), then you need to click on it twice to make it working. Please, let me know whether it works for you or not.

Thanks for asking. Enjoy the classifying.

Zuzi

Posted