Science Gossip Talk

New Blog highlighting Science Gossip

• geoffrey.belknap by geoffrey.belknap scientist

Hi everyone,

I've just written up a blog piece for the Guardian on historians working with citizen science/humanities methods - with ScienceGossip as a key example.

Take a look here: https://www.theguardian.com/science/the-h-word/2016/apr/26/how-citizen-science-could-change-historical-research-crowdsourcing

Hope you all like it - and would love to hear your thoughts as well

Posted

• jules by jules moderator

That's an interesting read @geoffrey.belknap. I think that the lines between professional and amateur scientists can sometimes be very blurred with volunteers now being credited as genuine co-authors and collaborators on Zooniverse papers and journal articles. Having worked in the UK voluntary sector for many years recruiting and training volunteers I am well aware of the rich mix of skills that comes with working with volunteers. It would be a loss not to utilise these skills.

Posted

• geoffrey.belknap by geoffrey.belknap scientist

Thanks @jules. The line between professional and expert has been really interesting for me - both as a historian investigating these issues in the 19th century, and as a historian trying to learn how to work with citizen science/humanities. Working with such community of experts - increasingly being termed volunpeers - has been the most rewarding part of being part of science gossip. And there is still lots yet to come!

Posted