Science Gossip Talk

General Welcome Thread

• DZM by DZM admin

Hey everyone, experienced and new Zooites alike -- welcome to Science Gossip, the Zooniverse's newest project! I'm Darren, or just DZM, the Zooniverse's community builder, and I'm thrilled to have you here on the project's Talk!

I'm really excited about this project... I could spend hours on it, myself. Every page seems to have something fascinating. I really love these sorts of unfiltered looks at historical artifacts. The illustrations are really cool, and I find myself quickly scanning the text, too, just to see what sort of stuff is being talked about.

Anyway, welcome, and good luck to everyone! Hope to see you all around the Talk boards. The research team will be here too, answering questions, and we hope plenty of other Zooites will be chiming in as well. If you like, start by saying hello right here, and telling us a bit about yourselves! 😃

Posted

• SiobhanLeachman by SiobhanLeachman

Hi Darren, I'm Ambrosia1 and have recently been tagging images uploaded on Flickr by the Biodiversity Heritage Library. I learned about this project via the @BioDivLibrary twitter feed and have come to join in. My main #Citsci focus is with the Transcription Centre at the Smithsonian but I enjoy image related #citsci as well. It's amazing to see the connections that can be made when you dive into projects like this. Thanks for this great looking project and looking forward to contributing.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Nice to meet you, @Ambrosia1 --! Welcome to the project! I can see that you're already getting really active, and I love it. 😄

Let me know if you have any questions, and I hope to see you around here a whole bunch!

Posted

• Antihelios by Antihelios

Hello! I'm Barbara, an illustration student and former translator from Germany. So naturally I'm interested in illustrations, but I've been participating in many Zooniverse projects for years. 😃

Posted

• geoffrey.belknap by geoffrey.belknap scientist

Hi Everyone, I'm Geoff. I'm one of the researchers on the Science Gossip project. I work on 19th century periodicals, science and illustrations so it is great to see such interest. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Posted

• jules by jules moderator

Hi all, I've been involved with Zooniverse since the start - mainly astronomy subjects - so I am used to the addictive nature of these projects. This, however, is something else! I've been at this for 2 hours now and I really should be doing something else. But I might miss something fascinating so maybe I'll do just one more...

It's great to see these articles getting some attention after all these years - who knows what treasures might be lurking in them? Right that does it - I'm off to find out. 😄

Posted

• Quia by Quia

Hello everyone, I see some familiar faces already! I've been around the Zooniverse almost as long as jules, always fun to have a new project to explore! I've already gotten lost reading a page or two from the journals in-between classifications.

Posted

• jhsteel by jhsteel

Hi All,
    I have been visiting various projects on this site for years, but I'm a full-time scientist myself and I don't have enough time to devote myself to these projects properly. I just pop in occasionally. Science Gossip is wonderful and I have had several "wow" moments already today. I will pass this on to my nephew who is an undergraduate and my father who is a retired professor, hoping that they will want to get involved. There is so much that is fascinating in these old scientific publications. This is a very worthwhile project.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Lots of people here! Nice to see you all!

Welcome to @Antihelios @jules @Quia and @jhsteel . 😃 Glad you're all enjoying the project!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator

Hi everyone,

I became involved with Zooniverse projects over 2 years ago. I'm in love with many of them (mainly the Plankton Portal) and have become hooked on this one too since the very first moment 😃

Nice to see so many active users here!

Cheers,

Zuzi

Posted

• trosesandler by trosesandler scientist

Hi all,

I'm Trish and another team member on the Science Gossip project. I work at the Missouri Botanical Garden in St Louis MO on the Biodiversity Heritage Library. It is thrilling to see so much engagement with this project in just the first day! I am happy to help answer any questions you have along the way.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to trosesandler's comment.

Great to have you here, too, @trosesandler --! It warms my heart to see that volunteers are having their questions answered, and very well, too. 😃

Posted

• VVH by VVH scientist, admin

Hi everyone and welcome! It's inspiring to read your comments this morning, while I'm sipping black coffee in 'Zootown' our Oxford office. I'll be around Talk (when I'm not classifying or battling my inbox!) and have really been enjoying the collected pages and comments so far. Thanks everyone!

Posted

• rrpbgeek by rrpbgeek

I'm a M.S. Biochemist (Purdue University) who did my undergrad work as Chem. Pre-Med with a math minor. I work as a bioanalytical chemist and formulation guy, but I'm about to go to med school in the fall. I enjoy the opportunity to engage my skills for the advancement of other sections of science, and am glad to contribute regularly.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator

Hi @rrpbgeek

Welcome on the SG! 😃 Hope you'll enjoy it as much as we do. Great to have you here!

Zuzi

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to rrpbgeek's comment.

Welcome, @rrpbgeek --! Great to have you here. Sounds like you bring some excellent skills to the table.

Glad to have you, and hope to see you around the Talk boards a whole bunch! 😃

Posted

• Whitby_Jet by Whitby_Jet

Hello, I'm new to all this. I love old books with old pictures, so looking at these old periodicals is fascinating. I did a degree in geology many years ago, and was pleased to see that geology features in some of the articles & pictures as well as animals & plants. I also love the old adverts. I have not yet come across any handwritten comments on drawings, but I am pretty good at deciphering different handwriting (lots of experience with old censuses, marriage certificates etc).

Posted

• jules by jules moderator

Welcome Whitby_Jet - glad you found us! 😃 I find old books fascinating too and love that all these journals are seeing the light of day again. I really hope we uncover something significant in the process. I love how passionate and meticulous the Victorian Citizen Scientists were. And keep looking out for handwritten items - there definitely are some!

Posted

• trosesandler by trosesandler scientist

welcome whitby_jet! Inscriptions would include handwritten comments and signatures. Enjoy!

Posted