Science Gossip Talk

double work?

• zwanenburg by zwanenburg

When searching the internet for species in the ilustrations i sometimes get a hit on the exact same page that i am classifying at that moment, including the illustration from the specific article that i am clasifieing. I'm wondering to what extend the classifying is already been done by others or other project and what then is the use of classifying them again? Sorry for my pour English, but i hope you understand what my question is.

Posted

• geoffrey.belknap by geoffrey.belknap scientist

Hi Zwanenburg,

Thanks for your question. There are other crowdsourcing efforts being done at the moment on illustrations - particularly one using flickr on BHL pages which might cause some overlap. However, in order for our data sets to be comparable and useful, we need to have all the pages from a particular periodical done under by the same crowdsourcing community, under the same set of question. Hopefully there won't be a terrible amount of overlap though.

Geoff

Posted

• trosesandler by trosesandler scientist

That is interesting to hear. I'm curious if the links are going to BHL or another source? Geoff is correct that we do have our illustrations in other platforms e.g. Flickr and folks are adding tags there as well but that metadata is not yet searchable with BHL. Perhaps you could share some urls so I could investigate further?

thanks!

Posted